With Firefox 98, I can no longer view pdf files without downloading them to my default Downloads folder. This looks like a breaking change and affects the user experience so much. Here are some threads explaining the changes and the Mozilla devs defending their decision.
To fix this, I can do one of the following.
- Mess with configs
- Go to
browser.download.alwaysOpenPanelset to false.
browser.download.improvements_to_download_panelset to false. Note that this is temporary and this option will be removed in the future.
- Settings > General > Downloads > Always ask where to save files
- Applications > Have nothing set to Save File (e.g. Always Ask, or a default handler). Do this for every file/MIME type.
- Set your download directory to your temp directory. In linux it is
- Go to
- After each download, if you don’t want to keep it, open the downloads manager > right click > delete.
- Ditch Firefox and move to Chrome.
IMO, I personally feel sad and annoyed. Many people to whom I have recommended Firefox have been complaining constantly about their UX getting worser with each update. I should not have to spend time fixing things after every update. It’s like they want me to move away from Firefox. 😮
I will continue with Firefox… 😵